Friday, September 12, 2008

Pocatello, Part II: Happy Trails

Well, so far, not too bad.

I've made it to Pocatello fully clothed and (mostly) prepared for my classes.

We finally (Hallelujah!) have a contract and a new roof on the house. So, if things go according to plan, there will be no more water in the living room and we'll be living somewhere in Idaho's wide expanse at the beginning of next month.

Sid's enjoying kindergarten, although she's sad that we have to leave our house behind. (Believe me, babe, if we could take it with us, we would have moved already!) She actually asked me the other day why we couldn't find a school here for me to go to. I was wondering that myself. I especially wonder why the University of Utah had to reject me twice when I applied there a couple of years ago. I'm still bitter about that. (Go BYU!)

The only thing I'm not crazy about right now (although I'm living with it due to a newly formed reliance on caffeine) is the commute from Ogden to Pocatello. Granted, it is better than, say, the barren drive from Orem to St. George and takes much less time. But that one hour and forty-five minutes on the road is time I'd much rather spend doing something else...like reading or writing or being with my family.

Or sleeping. Sleeping is good. I never get enough of that.

I can't even listen to the radio much, because it turns static-y about halfway there and doesn't really come back until you're right outside of Pocatello. And it's almost not even worth trying to tune something in, especially since there's not really much decent on once the signal gets stronger.

As it now stands, I get a lot of thinking in. Sometimes this is helpful because I can revise or expand the ideas in my head (way too much going on in there!).

Last night, I actually turned my brain off for a few minutes, though, and made some tunes of my own. Nothing radio worthy. In fact, Sid's and Allie's songs are much more substantial and entertaining.

Oh well.

Maybe by the time this commuting business has run its course, I'll be someone akin to Mozart or Beethoven or Shakespeare. Don't expect it though. And when I try to share my commute-developed talents with you, just smile and nod. Eventually the travel lag will wear off and I'll come to my senses. At least I hope I will, anyway.

Until then, wish me/us happy trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment