Saturday, February 27, 2010

AML Session: Patricia Karamesines

Patricia Karamesines: “When is a Platonic Friendship Not Platonic? Husbands, Wives, and Significant Others in Shannon Hale's The Actor and the Housewife



(Got here late: missed her opening.)

Uses Hale's text to explore trans-gender relationships. Friendships that cross gender boundaries.

Becky making ripples through her community. And thriving because of it. Acting hero's role of crossing established boundaries. That she's open about it forces others to question such limits, to shake off rhetorical limits.

Becky: being forced to find new words to explain her experience. Invoking rhetorical power of puns, metaphors in order to negotiate space b/w the pair for the existence of the relationship.

Expanding previous experience to make such space. Taking up language to change the world. Novel taking a good run at confronting the lack of lang. for such relationships as those b/w the actor and the housewife.

How to deal with the discomfort the lack of lang. for such experiences?

Thus we see, that through the actor and the housewife, some men and some women can work through the intricate complexities of attraction and build space in their lives for the intimacies of "platonic love," whatever that means—

(Notes taken during the session.)

(Product placement: The Fob Bible, courtesy of Eric and MoJo of Peculiar Pages Press and B10 Mediaworx.)

- Tyler-at-large: chasing clouds, blogging live

5 comments:

  1. .

    It just occurred to me that Patricia may have made the plug. Was that it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As cool as that would've been: no, I strategically placed the book in the photo, even though I didn't realize that's what I'd done until I raised my phone to snap the pic. Then I thought: product placement. Cool. (I had the book on hand to showcase during my presentation, which was in the session before PK's.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have if asked.

    But maybe I should ask FOB for a plug, since clearly the book is bigger than I am. :-)

    Thanks for attending my session and for the write-up, TC.

    BTW, WIZ's Spring Poetry Run-off is coming up soon. So sharpen your wit, Mr. Chadwick.

    (Just getting in a bit of my own product promotion. Fair, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PGK:

    I only wish I'd been able to make it into the session before you started reading. Alas. It was a pleasure to meet you, nonetheless.

    As for the Spring Poetry Runoff: This is me, sharpening away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, forgot to say--

    Liked your presentation much. You read well and your content was high-density, fun to mentally unpack as I listened.

    No prob about your not making the start of mine. I had to leave yours early to get to mine (which ended up starting late).

    ReplyDelete