Thursday, October 15, 2009

On Stand of Trees (Poem)

Another from Browns and Rusts. All the feedcrack usuals apply (especially in terms of how the last stanza reads). And, of course, thanks for playing.

* * * *

On Stand of Trees

I've been neglecting what it takes
to piece together dawn from old
snapshots and reminiscence faded
as the blush from Adam's skin

when God's question stunned
the garden and he slipped with Eve into
the shadow of God's voice, their shame
a stand of trees backlit by cherubim

come hounds a-bay to flush them into
death, sin, recognition, solitude,
a blood-drunk field mantle deep with sweat
and sorrow, soil thick with the afterbirth

of myth and tectonic histories, pieces
of a puzzle that shift in bed as I
try to number them one, two, three,
no, one, two... one


edges ragged as the blanket Cain has
carried since Eve weaned him from the teat
and he found his thumb to replace it,
but not enough to fill his hunger, not

enough to keep serpents from burrowing
into his need, from shedding that rag
like yesterday's skin, from slipping him
the switchblade he used to quarter the fruit

he knew had ripened in Mother's womb,
the harvest he'll never find as he works
his spittle and excrement field into bodies
with his hands red as stygian clay.

8 comments:

  1. I can't believe I know you (however virtually).

    This is the best yet of all your poems I've read. I could write a whole paper on the layers and layers of rich imagery.

    I have no problem with the last stanza, but the first throws me. Do you see it as merely an intro into the post-Edenic montage you've created? Somehow I doubt it.

    What does it take to piece together dawn? What does it mean to piece together dawn? And why have you neglected it? These are my questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good questions all, Luisa. And you've hit on the section---the word, really---that I've been interrogating most since I wrote it: neglecting.

    First off, you're right to doubt that I'm using this simply as an introduction. I took my ekphrastic cues from the sections in JKR's painting and tied that to my continuing efforts to engage with memory (personal and collective) in these poems, to piece together a rhetorical picture of the human past and the human present (represented, perhaps, by dawn, though I'm loathe to pin it down to one meaning with my "authoritative" interpretations) with strands of Edenic mythology.

    And why "I've been neglecting"? For one thing, there are places I've been hesitant to go as a poet, dark relational places that, if entered, might really make me squirm and shatter the assumptions I have about things I care for deeply. So I've been neglecting them, though I don't know if I've adequately justified that neglect in terms of this poem. (Maybe another word is in order; I don't know.) Sure, I'm all about turning a critical eye to the religious and family cultures I was brought up in, but this poem parallels familial pathologies (sans switchblades) that I've previously neglected/was unaware of and that I'm only beginning to confront as I mature emotionally, rhetorically, and spiritually.

    These, for now, are my answers to your questions---and my appreciation for calling me out, as it were. In other words, thanks for making me think about what my language is doing. I need to do that more often and more deeply than I sometimes do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. .

    I haven't read any of the poetry posted this week (a shame because there's been a lot, all over) until this today and it is great, yes, but then I clicked on the image and holy crap, Tyler. You nailed this one. This is exactly was artistic response to art should be like.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Th. That's what I'm working toward with all this JKR business...

    ReplyDelete
  5. .

    We need to see this into print at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Working toward that, too. Maybe (like we toyed around with before) I can get JKR to "officially" collaborate in the whole print thing, i.e. print the paintings with the poems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That collaboration would be amazing. It might even supersede the OED CD-ROM on my Santa list.

    Though this is not part of the strict definition, "neglect" to me connotes something once tended, now abandoned (as opposed to procrastinating/avoiding dealing with).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good point, Luisa, an implied part of the definition (I'm working from this one) that I neglected in my considerations yesterday. I'll keep interrogating, keep tinkering with my word choice until I either decide to stick with neglect or find a verb I like better. (Slighting? Avoiding? Pursuing? Learning? For now, I keep coming back to neglecting...)

    And: Your questions have been extremely helpful. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete