Thursday, July 2, 2009

Imagine Me, A Missionary

We had the missionaries over for dinner tonight and I did some Mormon letters proselyting of my own. Since my review of Twilight for Dialogue came with three contributor's copies of the journal and since I knew one of the missionaries is somewhat the literary type (last time they were here, we talked about Orson Scott Card and some other books) and since he picked up the copy of Bright Angels and Familiars: Contemporary Mormon Stories that was left (maybe purposefully) on the kitchen counter and spent more than a few minutes looking through it, I gifted him one of my two extra copies of Dialogue and introduced him to Irreantum (Volume 9.2/10.1, which he spent some time reading). And some of our dinner talk was spent discussing literature.

It may have been a distraction, but boy, did it feel good to feign some kind of literary expertise.

4 comments:

  1. The poor boy. Chuckle.

    We never get missionaries with even the remotest literary bent. When they come to the house, they all cast longing looks at the video game console and engage our teenage boys in wistful dialogue about all the movies they are missing.

    Tangent, evoked after reading the excerpt from your Twilight review--

    Has anyone yet discussed how Edward Cullen perfectly fits the profile of the classic abuser? Jealous rages, constant spying/stalking, ungovernable impulses to control Bella's every move in the name of "protection," etc.

    Nothing in the series disturbs me as much as this--that Bella interprets such behavior evidence not only of Edward's love but also of his worthiness/desirability.

    I write this as an enlightened former abusee (stepfather): danger lies ahead if our daughters adopt this view of what love should look like.

    Not sure if this is making sense, and the comment box is probably not the ideal venue for such ranting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nonsense, Luisa. I and my enlightened readers---all two or three of you---are an open audience for such tangents. And I know I've seen the Bella/Edward relationship touched upon in that way, but not in any critical depth. (Seems people are willing to chat about the series but not parse it in any depth.) That's one reason (and here comes another, slightly related, tangent) I started Reading Until Dawn (a hopeful anthology of critical essays on Stephenie Meyer), to facilitate a venue for such engagement with the text.

    Maybe you could turn your insights into a shortish (critical/personal) essay to include, to show the world of RUD what they're missing...*wink wink* *nudge nudge*

    [end pitiless plug]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must ponder this. I am honored by the invitation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, ponder away. Fast, if you must. ;)

    ReplyDelete