Friday, June 19, 2009

Danny Nelson: "Jacob, to Esau"

Thanks to The Fob Bible (Plain and Precious excerpts here), I've been introduced to the work of Danny Nelson, a talented poet who works equally well (from what I've seen, anyway) in light verse (as here, here, here, here, here, and here), the free verse dramatic monologue (here), and forms situated between (here, here, and here). One of my favorites is his dramatic monologue, "Jacob, to Esau," mostly because of how it offers a different perspective on the relationship between these OT brothers, but also because it's a poignant reminder that family bonds stick with us, even after we've had a falling out. I especially like the moment of realization Jacob (through the poet) offers in the final four lines. But I won't repeat them here; you'll have to go look for yourself.

You can find more on The Fob Bible here (and stay tuned, because I've still got half a review to post there next week).

No comments:

Post a Comment