Monday, January 26, 2009

A Svithe for the Few...

...wherever you may be.

I turn to this scripture frequently when I need a little extra strength in my daily confrontation with shades of darkness. It gives me faith that there are powers beyond my own working to raise me beyond my present state of weakness:

10 [T]he mother of abominations [...] is the whore of all the earth.

11 And it came to pass that I [Nephi] looked and beheld the whore of all the earth, and she sat upon many waters; and she had dominion over all the earth, among all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people.

12 And it came to pass that I beheld the church of the Lamb of God, and its numbers were few, because of the wickedness and abominations of the whore who sat upon many waters; nevertheless, I beheld that the church of the Lamb, who were the saints of God, were also upon all the face of the earth; and their dominions upon the face of the earth were small, because of the wickedness of the great whore whom I saw.

13 And it came to pass that I beheld that the great mother of abominations did gather together multitudes upon the face of all the earth, among all the nations of the Gentiles, to fight against the Lamb of God.

14 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God, that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb, and upon the covenant people of the Lord, who were scattered upon all the face of the earth; and they were armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory.

---1 Nephi 14:10-14

2 comments:

  1. .

    I think I stress much less about the state of the world than the saintly average, but still: I absolutely agree that it is good to know we are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to stress less about it as well, but I've always found this scripture comforting when I realize how much power can come to us individually and collectively as we keep our covenants.

    ReplyDelete