Tuesday, January 13, 2009

3by3by3

I stumbled across an interesting blog the other day called 3by3by3, a site maintained by Lance Newman of Westminster College in Salt Lake. On his curriculum vita, he calls it an "[o]ngoing collaborative poetry experiment." And, I believe, it's just that.

Since you can visit the site yourself if you're interested in learning more about what the experiment is, I won't bore you with the details here save only to say that it pushes found poetry in a new direction, I think, by encouraging poets to create a poetic collage with the linguistic material of the mass media. (Then again, what is communication of any sort if not a collage of material that already exists, albeit in a different form?)

Anyway, I tried my hand at the experiment last night and Lance posted my attempt. I had fun writing it and was quite pleased with the outcome. You can read my poem, "Contagious Genetic Bond," here.

Needless to say, I'll probably be doing more "lab work" of this sort in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment